Tuesday, February 24, 2009

You never think it can happen to you...

As mothers I feel that we try so very hard to protect and shield our children from everything that we possible can, so they can feel happy all the time and not know the sorrows that parents might go through. But then what happens when you as a parent feel that you can't do everything to help your child...

Boston has been diagnosed with PCD, Primary Communication Disorder. The short version would be that this blog was written in Chinese and you wouldn't have the first clue in how to read it. Now just imagine that it was the language entering your ears and having no way to comprehend it. Time is the cure. This disorder does have autistic tendencies, however, those should go away as language slowly develops.If those characteristics are still around once he is talking, then we are dealing with an entirely new issue. I knew that everything wasn't right considering he is 3 1/2 years old and not talking.

I just feel like I can't do anything to help him. I cry throughout the day as different emotions take over inside me. I am jealous of the parents that have little boys this age or younger and can communicate that their child is hungry or wants a drink. I feel frustrated that there isn't a way to help him develop his speech quicker. I feel upset when he can't understand the simple instructions of "pick that up" or "put away". It is hard to face the fact that the language barrier prevents such simple actions from taking place and the only prescription for this is LOVE. I guess I wish there was more.

Upon our trials and tribulations comes great joy. I know that I have to sit back and realize that this test of Boston's language will benefit us all. I can't fathom every concept of how, but I know that I have gained more patience.

I just thought I would let everyone know where we are at in all of these doctors' visits and hearing tests. We will have another update in March...

10 comments:

Brett and Lisa said...

Oh April... that is hard. but you are SO strong and such a fabulous mother! He was sent to you for a reason and you can do this! We love you guys! CAll me if you ever need to cry... I wish I was there to give you a sholder... but I can give you an ear!

natalie spratling said...

April, I had no idea. I agree with Lisa you are such a fabulous mom and we know that the Lord will not give us anything we can't handle. The best thing along with what you are already doing is prayer. It will bring comfort as well as help you know what direction to move and if not an answer right away it will bring peace. We will keep you in our prayers. We love you guys, I wish I was closer to give you support.

mom said...

Sweetheart, I know how you feel. No one can imagine what it is like when a child does not talk correctly. All we need to do is look at Elliot. He had similar talking issues and now he does not shut up. You need to have patience and encourge the verbal skills each day and be thankful for Boston.
You all will get thru this and be stronger and better for it. I am here if you need to talk, cry, get ideas, laugh or sing for joy and a new accomplishment. I love you

Jeremy.Celeste said...

April, my heart goes out to you. I understand completely what you are going through. It is hard, but I know that you are STRONG. I know you have all the LOVE you can give him and then more. You are such a good and loving mom to your children! I hope you know that I am here for you anytime!

Unknown said...

He'll be just fine. Remember how long it took me to start talking? Look at me now....you can't shut me up

The Lind's said...

April, I have been thinking about you lately and I just wanted you to know your in my prayers! I am sorry to hear of your hard times. I can tell by just reading your blog how much you love your kids...they are blessed to have you!

John and Carol said...

Dear April, We are sad to hear of the challange that you have, but we know that you will have the help of Heavenly Father in helping Boston through this. You will be able to love him and teach him what he needs to know. Our Prayers are with you all. Love Dad and Mom

John and Carol said...

Dear April, Sorry to hear about Bostons Learning concern, our prayers are with you. Our Heavenly Father will guide you as you work with this situation. Boston is a wonderful little guy and he knows you and Johnny love hime. He is one of Heavenly Fathers special children and you will teach him and love him and guide him through this challange. We love you all and appreciate all you do. Love Mom and Dad. First Message and I Lost It, but it's back.

Mike & Traci said...

Our prayers are with you. I can't imagine what that would be like but I know you are a great mommy & he is soo lucky to have you help him get through this :) Keep your head up. We may not understand it now...but later you will be able to say that you are "grateful" for this time in your life now :)

Memmotts said...

April, Sad about Boston. Everything will work out the way the lord has planned. You are such a strong person and Heavenly Father knows you and knows your strengths. Keep us posted on the little guy and we will keep you in our prayers.